• Announcement: Lua.org now officially recommends this forum as a meeting place for the Lua community

Forum For LuaRocks Authors (1 Viewer)

dinsdale247

Staff member
Community Patron
Creator of WinLua
Reaction score
Website
winlua.net
Hello fellow scripters. I'd like to thank @Maksumić for creating a new board for LuaRocks related discussions. LuaRocks is the defacto Lua package manager when one is using Lua as a desktop scripting language.

LuaRocks works on Linux, Mac and Windows and gives scripters the ability to download Lua modules that can be `required` in ones scripts. Scripters can install Lua or C modules at the system, user, or project level and these modules are managed in a file called a "rocktree". Rocktrees are manipulated from the command line using... luarocks.

The LuaRocks board is a place for discussing subjects like commands, rockstrees and configurations, but it's primarily envisioned as a place for LuaRocks authors showcase their work. I don't expect this to take away from the announcement on the lua-l list, I'd like to augment those discussions here. If possible, I'd like to set up a feed that grabs all the [ANN] lines from the mailing list. However, a forum is an opportunity for rocks authors to post real code and have discussions in a formatted environment, instead of an email list that only accepts text.

Obviously, this is an open forum for anything Lua and LuaRocks related, but if you have a rock you'd like to showcase, I encourage you to speak up!

Regards,
dinsdale

spc476

Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm not sure I have a favorite rock, but aside from the apparently 36 rocks I've authored, the only other ones I use often are LPEG, luacheck and lzlib.

redcatbear

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thanks for setting up this forum. I agree that this is a very good idea. Open Source needs interaction with the community.

I am the maintainer of Mockagne - LuaRocks, a Mockito-style mocking module. The original author, Janne Sinivirta handed it over when I made it Lua 5.4 compatible, because he unfortunately does not have time to maintain it anymore.

I found it very handy and wanted to prevent it from disappearing.

Also @Hisham thanks for facilitating the handover at that time. I hope to see an automatism for this some day. :)

dinsdale247

Staff member
Community Patron
Creator of WinLua
Reaction score
Website
winlua.net
I'm not sure I have a favorite rock, but aside from the apparently 36 rocks I've authored, the only other ones I use often are LPEG, luacheck and lzlib.
Ha! Look what the cat dragged in. You and the Moses author were two people I was thinking of when we talked about this discussion board. You've got all those conman libraries and it would be great for you to show them off. I've been meaning to try them for ages; perhaps if there was a blog post or two showing them off, it would trigger my memory when I'm looking at writing Lua again.

Are your modules windows compatible? I'm just about to announce my WinLua installer and it's got LibreSSL. Maybe you could do a piece on your libtls bindings? (I know very little about libtls).

dinsdale247

Staff member
Community Patron
Creator of WinLua
Reaction score
Website
winlua.net
Hi everyone. Thanks for setting up this forum. I agree that this is a very good idea. Open Source needs interaction with the community.

I am the maintainer of Mockagne - LuaRocks, a Mockito-style mocking module. The original author, Janne Sinivirta handed it over when I made it Lua 5.4 compatible, because he unfortunately does not have time to maintain it anymore.

I found it very handy and wanted to prevent it from disappearing.

Also @Hisham thanks for facilitating the handover at that time. I hope to see an automatism for this some day. :)
Hi redcatbear! I would suggest you start a new thread about Mockagne and give us a real demo of how it works? Maybe something with a little meat to show people what's possible? Maybe describe how you've used it to solve a problem?

spc476

Newcomer
Reaction score
Are your modules windows compatible? I'm just about to announce my WinLua installer and it's got LibreSSL. Maybe you could do a piece on your libtls bindings? (I know very little about libtls).
The modules in Lua will probably work on Windows. The ones in C I don't know, as I'm not a Windows user; they do work on POSIX systems like Linux, Mac OS-X and Solaris. I've talked a bit about wrapping libtls on my blog but it's not a popular library sadly. It works for LibreSSL, but I don't know if it can be compiled for use by OpenSSL.

stetre

Reaction score
Website
github.com
The modules in Lua will probably work on Windows. The ones in C I don't know, as I'm not a Windows user; they do work on POSIX systems like Linux, Mac OS-X and Solaris.

If they do work on POSIX systems, they likely work also on Windows using MSYS2.

daelvn

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
daelvn.com
Well hello LuaForum! I'm glad another alternative to the mailing list and the Discord is up, I think I was missing something like this!

I'm the owner and maintainer of many rocks (33 to be exact, of which most are probably only useful to me), but I'd probably highlight alfons, a task runner for Lua and MoonScript, inspired by the "worst use cases" of GNU make.

I guess I do have a few favorite rocks: hoelzro's Typical has been a great inspiration in the way I structure my code regarding types. kikito's inspect.lua is a module I find myself constantly including in my projects when I'm debugging, instead of having to roll my own pretty printer. mpeterv's argparse is the solution for parsing command-line arguments that I always end up resorting to.

Thanks for setting all this up!