• Announcement: Lua.org now officially recommends this forum as a meeting place for the Lua community

If I wanna create a game using Lua, where should I start? (1 Viewer)

Herly Quijano

Newcomer
Reaction score
Since I learned various things of Lua and I think I can start for creating my own things, I ask you, where can be an good starting point?, because I don't know if Lua have its own editor or compiler, all of I did is in Warcraft III and VSCode.

hemmerling

Newcomer
Reaction score
See my posting

Hemmerling's Lua Resources​

1)
I started using the CORE game development platform, where LUA is the scripting language.

2)
The alternatives are 2 other online development platforms ( delivery just on that online platform ), with all 3 you automatically get the option to create multi-user games, as the server infrastructure is granted for any developer for free,

or you start with a local game engine ( delivery as "executable" / "installable" game )

en:luagames.html [Hemmerling (R) - Quality Intensification for IT + Automation]

, especially worth to mention
Löve

hemmerling

Newcomer
Reaction score
So the easiest way is to follow my path,
all software and services are free.

The CORE IDE and so the CORE game environment need a Win10 PC.
Create a free CORE account,
install the CORE IDE, VisualStudio Code with all relevant plugins,
do some tutorials ( I have a list with the sequence of tutorials I did ),
and after a few days, you have your own first working CORE game - with little or no code -.

From that on, focus on software development with Lua,
debug some given OpenSource Lua code with the VSC debugger,
and then do the same with the CORE IDE debugger.

As you are used to use VSC, thats a good starting point, VSC is the #1 supported "external editor" for CORE.

-
Or you do the other simple way, create a free Roblox account, install free Roblox IDE and build your own free Roblox games. For Roblox, there are even more resources than for CORE, as it is on the market for 10+ years, including some books.

Roblox is available for Win10 and MacOSX.

Even teenagers and IT veterans ( I am 59 years old ) can manage to build wonderful Roblox and CORE applications!
-

In either case, I would be pleased to acompany you, as I have "some month" advantage with CORE ( but you might even be more experienced with Lua than me, if I see your other postings here ), a little bit as your coach, but more as game developer buddy.

I have most social media messengers, best is Facebook, Whatsapp and Skype are ok too,
and for in-game communications, DISCORD.

If you write me a PM, I will send you my facebook & DISCORD IDs.
Oh I see, you have a Facebook profile :)

Last edited:

Herly Quijano

Newcomer
Reaction score
I'm not interested in using Roblox, but I got interested in CORE, so I wanna know if there is something in particular that I must know about it, like a rule or limitation, I could read the terms but I can lose something.

PD: How do you know my Facebook profile? is not in my account and I think you made a mistake because I didn't get a message on my facebook (if you send it).

Herly Quijano

Newcomer
Reaction score
@hemmerling I tested core, and I can only make first-person games? and I don't really like make a game in a "Roblox with more graphics" I wanna create an independent game and the other that gives my attention was Spring RTS, because that is more of what I want.

hemmerling

Newcomer
Reaction score
of course you can make any kind of game,
my first project is a "pocket calculator" :)

and there are other non-first-person games

a)
You see the whole avantar

PACMAN clone, top view

b)
you don´t see any avantar at all

E-Learning platform, just 2D slides

Arcade games inside a CORE game

Card game Bridge

Computer, simulated within a game ( unpublished, by a CORE developer buddy ) - Same approach as my pocket calculator

Especially you can make multi-player games ( for local game engine projects like with Unreal & Unity, you must provide an expensive server with self-written gaming cloud server software )

I wanna create an independent game and the other that gives my attention
CORE has a monetarisation option ( at the moment totally irrelevant, and you need to have attractive games with frequent number of players per month, and you must found a company as Mandicore demands a tax number ),

but in general, you can't "sell" CORE games like a game made with a local game engine ( Spring RTS, Unity, Unreal, Godo.. ), as you can´t generate an executable file to be installed on another computer. Same with Roblox.

But... at the same moment you got a "gamer communty" where you can present your game, they must not download, all have same software ( window + core client ), so they are ready to play within 1 minute.

You can do any advertising for your game ( DISCORD server is almost standard to have for game developers, social media ect ), its free to play on CORE ( as on Roblox ), but your possible customer/player has to download and install a 5-10 GB Window application...

I wanna create an independent game
Your game is an IndieGame, as you are not a professional GameStudio ( company!) and you have no chance to SELL the game to a classical Game distributor.

If you don´t found a company ( with a tax number...), you even can´t upload anything at STEAM :-(.

my attention was Spring RTS,
Yes, Lua is scripting language there,
but besides that,
Unity + Unreal are the market leaders.
Means free how-to-do-xxx community support is best for the two.
Many total-commercial games you have to pay for 30-50$ are done with both engines.

Even Godo as totally open-source engine has much less suport ( but worth to try, it has Python-style scripting ).

Spring-RTS has no market relevance.
Means there is no large community of Just-Spring-RTS players.

The engine is concentration on a SINGLE purpose, a single type of game, if I interpret the Wikipedia article right :-(

While Unity, Unreal, Godo are good for "any game".

And if you upload your generated executable for download, no matter if done by Spring-RTS, Unity, Unreal..., you will hardly find players or even one-time-players ( = testers ) for your game....

--

Core is Roblox-Next-Generation,
so I want to concentrate on Core,
but probably I would be satisfied same with Roblox.

Last edited:

stetre

Reaction score
Website
github.com
All you can do using only core Lua is to write games like text adventures. This is because, as you already know, core Lua is kept minimal by design. In particular, one of its design objectives is portability, which rules out including in the core things that are essential in games but depend heavily on the platform (and are not implementable using ANSI C only), such as creating windows, rendering graphics, playing audio, getting input from devices other than the keyboard, etc.

So, if you want to do something more complex than reading text input from a terminal and writing back text output, you need something more than core Lua. Here you have a few options to choose from:

The first is to use some game engine or development framework like Love2d or CoronaSDK (renamed Solar2D when the pandemic broke out). These essentially extend core Lua with the above facilities you need for games, and much more. If you want to write a game with the purpose of publishing it, this is your best option. It would be the same in any other language.

Another option is to extend Lua by yourself, writing bindings to the lower level libraries or APIs that you need to access graphics, I/O, audio, and so on. Or use bindings already written by someone else (like those written by myself). This may be good choice if the game itself is not your real goal, and what you are really interested in is to learn the technology behind games. But beware that if you go down this path, chances are that you'll never finish a game...

Still another option is to write the game in another language (say, C++), again possibly using a game engine or framework (e.g. Unity, Unreal, SDL, SFML, or whatever), and use Lua just for scripting.

hemmerling

Newcomer
Reaction score
Don´t be confused, stetre suggests to write your own game engine, more or less :)

stetre

Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thinking well, I can start with CORE I'll see what I do later.

Ops, I think I misunderstood your question. I wasn't aware that there is a development framework called 'Core Lua' out there. I thought that by 'core Lua' you meant the Lua library and nothing else... (what a misnomer, by the way!)

hemmerling

Newcomer
Reaction score

I agree to stetre, the word core is burned, there are many 10th of meanings in the Internet with relation to software, especially disturbing for the free but commercial game platform is the meaning

core game player ( as opposite to casual gamer,..)

stetre

Reaction score
Website
github.com

I agree to stetre, the word core is burned, there are many 10th of meanings in the Internet with relation to software, especially disturbing for the free but commercial game platform is the meaning

core game player ( as opposite to casual gamer,..)

In particular when talking about languages the term is often use to denote the very basic part of the language.. syntax, constructs, keywords, and not much else.

I should have noticed that that wasn't the meaning here, though. My bad.