• Announcement: Lua.org now officially recommends this forum as a meeting place for the Lua community

Which mqtt_lua fork to use? (1 Viewer)

Ray

Newcomer
Reaction score
(Also posted in Corona SDK Forums)

I want to build Yet Another MQTT Listener in Corona. MQTT has been around for a while, so there should be at least one good repository somewhere.

The Github repo at geekscape/mqtt_lua is eight years old. The last commit was 13 July 2012. The "Forks" page lists 54 forks, varying in age from ... well, I don't want to go looking at all 54 forks.

I did find another fork at org.eclipse.paho.mqtt.lua.git - MQTT Client Package - Lua language. The last commit there was 30 March 2016, so that one seems newer and fresher.

But there's no fanfare or publicity surrounding org.eclipse.paho.mqtt.lua.git. Most of the articles that turn up in a web search, list the geekscape repo as the authoritative source for MQTT client Lua code.

So, what *is* the best mqtt_lua source?

younyokel

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
stackoverflow.com
If the author didn't consider it necessary to update it, is it possible that it really didn't need updates? I mean, I have zero experience with MQTT and Corona SDK, but in logic using the original repository could be a better idea if this was true. Geekscape which created this repository was active last year. Using forks has a bigger chance to get something broken in or to get a bug.

But anyway, geekscape can be simply too busy to spend their time for this. If the fork you want to use has a big amount of stars and author frequently updates it, use it.

I'm posting this because nobody answered before.

Reactions: Ray

Ray

Newcomer
Reaction score
If the author didn't consider it necessary to update it, is it possible that it really didn't need updates?

It's possible. It's also possible that Geekscape is no longer actively involved with mqtt_lua and has moved on to other things, with the expectation that someone else will pick up where he left off, maintaining and improving mqtt_lua. There's always room for bug fixes and feature improvements.

p.s. Thanks for the reply.

shelvacu

Newcomer
Reaction score
I find the "networks" page to be useful when trying to find a fork:

From that, it seems like thunderace/mqtt_lua is the fork with the most changes. All the others look like just single-change forks

Reactions: Ray